Skip to main content

Backpacker Cover

Bar work, teaching, voluntary work, studying or just backpacking from country to country discovering new cultures and friends. From 1 month to 12 months, we can cover you. We have specialised in this type of insurance for over 30 years and have a wealth of experience in providing Backpacker Travel Insurance.

Get a Quote

With these types of trips you are usually planning to travel for a longer than normal holiday. Therefore, bereavement cover and the ability to extend your cover during your trip are important elements to consider. We can help include these in your cover.

Key Features

  • A choice of three packages
  • Emergency Medical Expenses up to £5 million
  • 24-hour Emergency Medical Assistance and repatriation
  • Ability to extend cover whilst overseas
  • Working and volunteering cover
  • Additional Amateur Mountain biking option
  • Cancellation cover due to FCO warnings
  • Snowsports option
  • Sailing cover
  • Most unplanned sports and activities covered
  • Loss or damage to baggage, including cameras and iPod
  • Bereavement cover
  • Personal liability
  • Cover for UK citizens living in the EU
  • Gadget cover option
  • Return to your country of residence and go back out under the same policy


There is cover for most activities as long as they don’t form the reason for your trip and are incidental to your trip.

We are fully aware that people taking a gap year or backpacking may undertake the occasional ‘risky’ activity, so for the sake of clarity we have shown below what is and is not covered by this policy.

The following activities are not covered:

  • Wintersports, mountain biking or rugby (unless you have paid the appropriate additional premium)
  • Trekking above 6000 metres
  • Scuba diving (unless accompanied by a qualified diving instructor, maximum depth 30 metres)
  • Mountaineering with ropes
  • Potholing
  • Hang gliding
  • Parapenting
  • Travelling in an aircraft (other than as a fare paying passenger)

In addition there are specific exclusions relating to motorcycling and quad bikes.

All other activities, therefore, by implication are included in this insurance provided they are incidental, and they have not been pre-planned and booked before your departure from United Kingdom, (if an activity/sport has been pre-planned please call us on 01428 778000).

The following is an example of included activities, provided they are incidental. For those marked with an * there is no cover under the Public Liability section.

  • Bungee-jumping
  • Abseiling
  • Road cycling
  • Baseball
  • Cricket
  • Hockey
  • Quad biking *
  • Sailing *
  • White water rafting
  • Horse riding
  • Trekking (below 6,000m)
  • Parachuting
  • Canoeing
  • Surfing
  • Jet-skiing *
  • Windsurfing
  • Water-skiing
  • Ballooning


Most work and volunteer work is covered under the policy with only 4 main exclusions:-

  • Working offshore (other than watersports),
  • Working outside higher than 6 metres above the ground,
  • Working underground,
  • Use of chainsaws.

There is no personal liability cover whilst working, as this should be covered by an employer and we recommend you check this out. 

If you are planning to work for a tour operator, they should insure you - check out MPI’s Resort Staff Insurance.

Get a Quote

Do you have an existing medical condition?

We will ask series of questions pertaining to the last 12 months. You can continue your purchase with the conditions excluded, or, if you would prefer to ask underwriters to cover your condition(s), please ask for a Medical Screening form.

The outcome will be one of:

1) Full cover for your declared condition(s)
2) Cover with an increased excess for your declared condition(s) 
3) No cover for your declared condition(s) More Information